Bob PinedoDepartment of Medical Oncology, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, Netherlands F1000 Head of Faculty (since 16 November 2005)
BIOGRAPHYHerbert Pinedo M.D.
- Professor of Medical Oncology, Free University (VUMC) Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- Vice-chairman of the Netherlands Organisation for Health Research and Development (ZonMw), the Netherlands, (2004-present)
- Consultant to the Board of Directors of the Vumc-CCA
- Medical oncologist at the CCA, the Netherlands.
- Head of the Department of Oncology, Free Univeristy (VUMC) Amsterdam, the Netherlands, (1979-2005).
- President and Chairman of the Board of the Free University (VUmc) Cancer Center Amsterdam (CCA), the Netherlands, (2003-2005)
All industry positions (in last five years):
Dr Pinedo's career is a benchmark for original, top quality, translational cancer research in which he has consistently combined leading-edge basic science with clinical excellence. He is noted as a clinical investigator who takes new concepts to early clinical trials. He has made seminal observations in cancer biology and treatment-related mechanisms of drug action and resistance in the patient. Examples of this scientific approach are many of which the following illustrations: the first phase 1 study on daily cisplatin as a radio-enhancer; poor penetration of cytotoxic agents from tumor capillary to cancer cell and lack of relevance of PgP for clinical drug resistance (NEJM); discovery that platelets transport VEGF in man (major implications for medical sciences) and their tumor-enhancing role (Lancet); close association between (anti-) angiogenesis and coagulation; mobilization of dendritic cells from bone marrow to tumor draining lymph nodes by GM-CSF; and successful use of autologous tumor cells as a vaccine in colon cancer (Lancet).
Any other information:
Dr Pinedo has received many awards including the Steiner (1995), Spinoza Award (1997) and Cino del Duca (1999).
He is a member of numerous national and international scientific societies in which he is extensively involved:
Dutch Cancer Society
- Committee advising on priority issues in oncology: chairman (1999-2005)
- Committee supporting the Development of the Department of Oncology SEHOS, Curacao: member (2002-present)
-Administrative Board: member (1984-2005)
European Society of Medical Oncology
- Past-president (1987-1989)
- Initiator of the Committee of National Representatives
- Initiator of the European Board Examination for Medical Oncology
- co-founder of the Annals of Oncology
- Representative of the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research
- Member of the European Cancer Forum
- Advisory Board for Cancer Research of the Commissioner for Research and Health (2000-2004)
- Member of the European Strategy Forum for Research Infrastructures (2004-present)
- Member of the European Marketing Research Center
- European Cancer Research Initiave (ECRI)- Board (2000)
- Member of the HIRO
- Scientific Advisory Board of GIANT (Gene Therapy)
European Scientific Foundation
- Member of European Medical Research Councils (EMRC) 2004-2007
- Member of the ESFRI (2005-present)
American Association of Cancer Research (AACR)
- Clinical Research Committee (1996-present)
- Development Committee (1996-present)
American Society for Clinical Oncology
- Cancer Research Committee (2006)
- International Advisory Committee (2006)
He is also a member of the scientific advisory board to a number of university and cancer institutions.
Dr Pinedo is editorial board member for 13 scientific journals, is associate editor for The Oncologist (also founding member), Current Oncology Reports, Revista de Oncologia, co-editor for Current Opinion in Anticancer Drugs and editor of E-wise, Medical/Digital publisher and Annals of Oncology (also founder).
Bob Pinedo has been added to your "Faculty I'm Following" page in MyF1000
Follow/Unfollow any Faculty via their recommendations, biography pages, or MyF1000