• Head of the Clinical & Molecular Epidemiology of Cancer Unit in the Barcelona Institute of Medical Research (IMIM)
• Professor of Preventive Medicine & Public Health, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB)
• Adjunct Professor of Epidemiology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC)
Other than at the UAB School of Medicine, Dr Porta has also taught at other institutions, including McGill University, the Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität (Münster, Germany), several universities in Brazil and Mexico, and at Harvard, where he was on sabbatical in 1998-1999.
From 1994-1998 he was President of the Spanish Society of Epidemiology (SEE). From 2002-2005 he was European Councillor of the International Epidemiological Association (IEA) and Chairman of the IEA European Epidemiology Federation.
He is (co)author of over 270 academic papers. Beyond his main lines of research, he has written on topics such as causality and the BSE / vCJD link, persistent organic pollutants and society, genome metaphors, the bibliographic impact factor and scientific journals, or the roles of scientific associations.
Dr Porta's editorial work (and pleasures) span for over 20 years. He is an active member of several editorial boards, an editor of the European Journal of Epidemiology, and an editorial consultant to The Lancet.
His three main lines of research are:
1) Clinical and molecular epidemiology of exocrine pancreatic cancer and cancer of the extrahepatic biliary system. Gene-environment interactions with organochlorine compounds;
2) Screening, early detection, and 'diagnostic delay' in cancer; and
3) Assessing the impact on human health of Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) and other environmental chemical agents.
In the role of Faculty Member, Miquel Porta contributes recommendations and reviews to the Epidemiology Section in the Public Health & Epidemiology Faculty, writing brief accessible comments to summarize the value of the articles and adding rating score.
The Faculty comprises Heads of Faculty, Heads of Section, Faculty Members and Associate Faculty Members, as well as an International Advisory Board.
Read more about F1000Prime »